Sunday, March 12, 2006

Serbia Road Trip


Before I could get my Sunday started good, I was compelled to watch a segment on CBC News: Sunday this morning. CBC News: Sunday airs on CBC-TV at 10:00 am on Channel 99 (Comcast), which is old air Channel 9 in Detroit. Videojournalist Stefan Randstrom went to Serbia and Bosnia to see what had changed in the ten years since the end of the armed conflicts. He takes an emotional road trip with a Serbian brother and sister as the two fight over the truth about their own bloody history. They cross the Serb border and go into Bosnia, hitting four prominent cities where war-time atrocities occurred, including where more than 7,000 people died in a single incident at Srebrenica alone. It was really interesting. Did you know that the peace agreement that brought the three years of war to a halt was signed in Dayton, Ohio? That same little town on I-75 that I roar through at jet-fighter speeds on my way to Memphis, Atlanta, Mobile, Orlando and other points south held a fricking peace accord! On November 21, 1995, Bosnia and Herzegovina president Alija Izetbegovic, Croatian president Franjo Tudman and Serbian president Slobodan Milosevic signed the Dayton Agreement. And to think, I've never stopped once during the 100+ times I've driven through Dayton, not even to buy gas........

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." ferris bueller, circa 1986

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home